Sunday 5 October 2014

SIMPLE LIVING SUNDAY: In the garden


SIMPLE LIVING SUNDAY: In the garden
 

I’ve come back home after a short holiday interstate.  Spring has certainly sprung, though some of the flowers look a little the worse for wear after a couple of very windy days.
 

 Two of my friends have come back with me, just for a few days. One of my friends is good at gardening and cooking and loves to be kept busy. He doesn’t like to sit around relaxing for too long, which has largely been to my benefit.
With his help this is a sample of what has been achieved:
 

Coconut buns in coconut cream sauce

 

Using up vegies, quiche from scratch

Tomatoes and capsicum
 

I’ve been trying this vegie garden caper for a couple of years now. Previously I had a low maintenance native garden. Now I have a smaller cottage garden out front and a vegetable patch and small garden areas out the back. If my friend hadn’t helped me then the vegie patch would still be small and sparse. I’m sure it wouldn’t have extended beyond a few carrots and broccoli. I have read a lot on the internet and watched lots of programs about gardening but I still found it difficult to know what to do. For example, when I first planted the carrots I didn’t know whether I was supposed to separate the bunch of fine stems and plant singly or whether one plant was meant to have several stem-like parts.

Getting a helping hand has made a big difference. And a hoe! I still don’t know many things but simply watching my friend dig up the soil has taught me a lot, including the fact that I could do that much on my own, if I had a hoe.  I didn’t realise how much easier the job is with a hoe! (No shovel, either…)
Have a happy Sunday.