Thursday 9 October 2014

Sian Prior- a shy Australian (who made it big!)


I subscribe to Richard Fidler’s weekly program (ABC radio) of in-depth interviews. All free! I don’t actually get much time to listen to them so I pick and choose which ones I will listen to.

One day, not too long ago, I went through the list and, to my surprise, there was an interview with a woman who would talk about being shy. Without question that was the one I selected over and above all the others.

In the interview, Australian writer, Sian Prior , talks about her experience of growing up feeling shy and of what it is like to be socially anxious.

I listened to all she had to say and I quietly rejoiced, for in that moment, we, Australians who have social anxiety, were being given a voice that reached beyond the hidden corners of our normal refuges. This was a significant interview for it was the first time in Australia I had really heard people officially talking about social anxiety.

As is the case for many articles and interviews, Sian Prior’s interview coincided with the publication of her book: Shy: a memoir.

So much of what she said resonated with my own experience of being shy. I am happy that there is a book out there expounding a case for social anxiety but I won’t be buying the book. As Sian shared some of her memories of growing up I had to acknowledge it was uncomfortable revisiting some of those difficult times. But that's just me.
I commend Sian Prior for what she has done.

 

 Congratulations to the ABC, our national free-to-air broadcaster, for providing a whole week of programming aimed at fostering a healthy understanding of mental health issues.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment