Tuesday 9 August 2011

It was a really difficult time but...

It's been a funny old week. I've not been getting a lot of sleep which is making me tired and grumpy. It seems no matter how much time I put into my work- including unpaid time at home- it's never enough. I've been feeling tired and stressed.
A few years ago I had a young person stay with me for a few months. It ended up being an extremely difficult time. At that stage I did not know about social anxiety so there were many instances when I needed to be firmer but I wasn't. This resulted in a lot of unnecessary stress.
Several years ago I lost my father and it was a very painful process. I grieved for a long time, mostly on my own. It was one of my toughest experiences watching him die and trying to make sense of his death.
Through all of these difficult times I'm always amazed at what comes out of it.
Before Dad died I really didn't know how to acknowledge my feelings. I knew how to say what I believed others wanted me to feel but I could not actually recognise my own feelings. Through the turmoil of grief I turned to counselling. Through counselling  I finally  learnt to identify my own feelings. Through all that pain I learnt many vital life lessons.
When the young person stayed with me I had very little time to dwell on my thoughts which made me see how much I get caught up in my own thinking when I am on my own. This helped me realise that in one way or another my inner chatterbox gets carried away when the reins are let loose, and that perhaps it is something which I can change.
This last week I have not enjoyed the stress but amidst all the weariness I  managed to do something I have wanted to do for so long. I love nature and in my little suburb there's almost none. Almost. Except for now. We have a grasslands area with ponds and ducks, swans, lots of trees and open space. Yes, it is between a long line of back fences and a big electrified wire fence which  protects the grasses. But it is a little haven with a beautiful path winding through it. and it is so close to my home I can't believe I had never tried it.
For three years I had wanted to go there but I've always hesitated and chosen to go around the block instead  or  just  stay at home. I was always a little anxious about visiting somewhere new and feared that I might find silly young people around, causing havoc. What I did find was peace and tranquillity and enough openness for me to sing my heart out without bothering anyone.The walk was invigorating on a cold, Sunday morning and I felt mighty chuffed by my achievement. I hope to make it a weekly ritual.
The fact is I only got there because last Sunday morning, I was getting too caught up in my "down" thinking  and I wanted to cry out of frustration. The idea of walking around the block depressed me.... but I wanted to shake off the blues, somehow. I thought, if only I could escape to the bush and nothave to worry about work and everything here...and then the grasslands came to mind!
By the way, when I got there. no young ones were wreaking havoc, just  a variety of individuals  out walking vigorously. 
(The photo is not of our local grasslands but taken in bushland another hour  inland)
Have you ever found that something really difficult showed you the way to something new and enlightening?

No comments:

Post a Comment