Tuesday 2 August 2011

Happy SAD Moments

It's not always easy living with social anxiety. And before I go further I should add that my perspective will be different from another person's perspective. I have a life where I can get out of the house each day but this is not everyone's experience.
Here are some of my observations from the previous week:
  • I blogged last Wednesday about having no one to talk to after work. On Friday I got to have coffee with some of my colleagues. It was fun and something I felt I haven't done for a long time.  (I think because I haven't had a good chat with people for a while I talked a lot and probably quite forcibly.  Has anyone got some ideas for keeping calm and controlled when you feel as though you have a year's worth of comments to pour out?) It just goes to show that the world is not such a bad place!! It just gets quiet sometimes.
  • I've put off approaching two people at work about a project they need to work on with me. For two weeks. Yikes!I put it off because I was sure their responses would be hostile. So I asked them yesterday and guess, what they said- "Sure!" So after I've wasted a certain amount of paid time avoiding the situation I realise that I was worrying about something that  might happen. And I was allowing myself to flood my mind with stressful thoughts. I take pride in my work and I don't consider myself a bludger yet I did waste time in this instance.
  • Now this is a joyous one!! I went to an all-day PD and I was OK. I did so well. I found a seat, I wasn't late, I joined people at lunchtime and I actually found people to talk to. It's only been in the last two years that PDs and all-day meetings have been less-threatening. It's taken a while to get to this place but I'm sure glad I got to it. Getting to speak to others was a treat. Usually I make do for the day with a comment here or there and then I hide behind my cuppa as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment