Sunday 2 November 2014

Simple Living Sunday: Frightfully frugal organising


My Frightfully Frugal Planner

I’m away visiting friends this weekend so I thought I would leave you with a look at the way I keep track of what I'm doing. Here's my "planner"

Pad of planning sheets: $3
washi tape: $2
coloured pens: a gift for a young person that never happened : cost back then/now free on hand

 
I love fussing around, designing weekly planning formats freehand or on the computer. I always reused  A4 paper until I succumbed and bought this pad of weekly planning sheets at a $2-type shop. I actually thought it was a weekly planner but it is, in fact, a monthly planner. It cost me $3. I write up the headings each week and away I go. Headings  include: maybe, definite, meals, to buy, to do, to call, next (next week) and goals.
Maybe: what I need to do on that day, recorded ahead of time
Definite: what I aim to do on that today, recorded and updated on the day

I do use a monthly diary and I usually stick  the weekly planning sheets in there. I reuse bits of paper as shopping lists and I use the back of the sheet when I need more space.

The washi tape is a new addition to my organising palette. And I love it. Yesterday I couldn’t run because I had my nephew’s birthday. Imagine my (ever so simple) delight when I realised I could just lift the tape off Monday and move it ever so easily onto Tuesday. Along with my beautiful markers it all looks bright and colourful.

I love sitting down and planning what I’m going to do. I do have to be careful that I spend at least as much time doing, not just planning and dreaming. Somehow a well-planned week in theory helps me have a well-planned week in practice.