Sunday 21 September 2014

Simple Living Sunday: In the garden


The weather’s been getting a little warmer and a little sunnier these last few days. It’s heartening after the long, grey, bleak winter.
I’m getting over a bout of laryngitis. All my good habits fly out the window when I’m sick so I’m enjoying being able to get back to a normal routine this weekend.

I’m about to harvest my first vegies for 2014 – not counting the spring onions. There are two short rows of broccoli. Last year my harvest was three broccoli and a handful of onion plants in total! I come across lots of blogs and articles about food swaps, preserving and canning, and farmers’ markets and now, for the second time, I can harvest vegies from my own vegetable garden. It's exciting to think about using my own produce  for meals and possibly having to give some of it away.

One of my simple living goals is to eat fresh, healthy food. Another reason I support simple living is because I think it's kinder on the environment. I put some of the food scraps and plant debris in the compost which then gets reused in the garden. So it's most satisfying to see some of my goals 'bearing fruit'.

I’m growing carrots and celery but I’m not too sure when they’ll be ready. Soon. I think. There aren't a lot of sun-rich areas around my garden so it will only ever be a small patch which suits me fine. I’m very grateful to a dear friend who helped me upgrade the vegie patch from my meagre efforts last year.  
Happy Sunday.

 
 Vegie Patch 2013

 Vegie Patch 2014

     Grape vine pruning



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment