Thursday 25 September 2014

MY GOALS: A RUN OF BAD HEALTH


My Goal:     Exercise three times a week.

Update:       Coming out of winter, struggling to exercise once a week.



A little while ago a unique opportunity came my way. Some of our staff members were preparing for the October marathon. They were excited and buzzing with plans for fund-raising. I was impressed and wished I could do something like that. So when a colleague asked if I was interested I made sure I said “Yes!”

Now, I haven’t run ever, except back in secondary school P.E. lessons, and even then I was always the one who lagged behind.

I went home, looked up the 9-week From Couch to 5k website and the very next day I began.

Here’s a rundown of how my efforts have gone so far. Keep in mind, it’s three runs per week.

Week 1   Day 1    Began. Did the 5-minute walk as part of the 20 walk-run cycle… only to find out that the walk takes place before and after the 20 minute cycle … only managed 4 out of 8 cycles… and came home too exhausted to cook dinner.

Week 1   Day 2    Similar to Day 1. I counted to myself and found that kept me focussed. Still too exhausted to do anything after the run.

Week 1   Day 3    Headache. Can’t run.

Week 2   Hurt my back. Or a muscle.

Week 3    Feel that my back is still not quite right.

Week 4   Rainy days. 

Week 4   Day 3   I’m back on track. This time I’ve got my podcast to guide me and I almost complete the first day program. It feels good, I’m excited and I’m determined.

Week 5    Day 1   Going well. The last stretch is tough.

Week 5    Day 2   Hooray! I’ve finished Week One of the program.

Week 6     Not feeling well. Take the week off from work with laryngitis.

Week 7    Got to face the fact that I won’t make it for the October marathon.
Week 7    Um..er…ah… I’ve got a cold. A bad cold. I feel terrible.

 By now I’ve realised there’s no way I’ll make it for the October marathon. I can’t believe I’ve had such a run of bad health. Running is one of those things I thought I could never do. I’m still not sure that I can physically accomplish it but I really want to have a go.

Stay tuned. One day I will tell you about my first mini-marathon but it certainly won’t be this October!