Wednesday 17 September 2014

Redefining My Goals

I love goals, in the same way that I love lists.
Over the last couple of decades I've taken delight in setting goals and seeing them come to fruition, even if it does take a couple of years longer than originally anticipated.
This last year I've found it hard to find time for my big goals. This month alone I've had plans compromised by a sore back, changes to the routine at work and now I'm getting over days off work with laryngitis.

Nevertheless, I've come to realise there are some things I do that account for why my goals haven't been happening these last few months.
  • I plot the big goal each week. I never get to it. I never pinpoint a time or action.
  • I spend  waste a lot of time on the computer when I could be doing something more productive and, most likely, more enjoyable.
  • I do have a large number of goals in addition to my regular work commitments and everything else that needs attention in the week.
Well, the time spent reading blogs hasn't been all wasted.  I found a lot of useful ideas after reading comments about routines and goal-setting on the  Down-to-Earth Forum  and  I found some great advice on  http://organisingqueen.com/ .

I know I should probably have crossed out a goal or two and shortened the list,  but I just couldn't.  So, based on what I learnt from the sites above, I have refined my planning.
  • I allocated two blocks of time where I could be pretty sure it wouldn't get swallowed up by other  weekly happenings.
  • I identified  a smaller, achievable action for the bigger goals for that week alone.
  • I moved housework down the priority list (except for the main jobs)
Voila!  It worked.

Take a look.   

Goals:  FAMILY TREE,  FAIRY GARDEN, BLOGGING, HOME
Time:   Tuesday night   I hour,    Saturday 1 hour
Task :  FT - Start collating all the details I have on great, great, grandfather MB
            FG - Go op shopping and see whether they have any little knick-knacks that could be used in
                    the fairy garden.
Result: FT- Done. Had time to go onto trove.nla.gov.au and find more old newspaper articles.
            FG - Nothing special for the fairies but I did find a basket which I'm going to upcycle and use
                    for some spring flowers.

The best result is feeling motivated to go about my week's routine. I feel like I'm achieving and, most of all, I experience the joy that comes with working on my goals.  I've noticed, too,  the positive vibe lifts my spirit and spills over into other areas of  life. I thought about what wasn't working and what I wanted to work. I'm glad to say that the readjustment has actually worked!




No comments:

Post a Comment