Tuesday 19 January 2016

A reflection on reflection in my life

This year my word for 2016 is not a word as such, but rather, a practice. This year I really hope to make it a priority to reflect on a regular basis. To bring this about, I did a brainstorm about how, where and when I might do that. Very quickly I came up with a few ideas that were simple enough and therefore achievable.


What?

·         Practise gratitude
·         Take time to sit and think
·         Evaluate goals
·         Seek out inspiration


Where?

·         Anywhere free from distraction
·         Seat next to window…whenever I sit there I take to daydreaming
·         Seat on the front verandah…nice, cool spot at the end of a hot day


When?

·         The hardest question!
·         Friday evenings – schedule time once a month to evaluate goals
·         At the end of the day, taking a rest outside in the cool of the evening (will work for summer)

How?  Now

Find 5 things to be grateful for each day.
At the end of the day I sit outside in the quiet of the evening and try to recall 5 things for which I am grateful. I find that by the time I get to number five many other things have come to mind. I also find that if I take my time I  feel rested and appreciative no matter what my mood was before I started. Of course, I can practise this anywhere which works as long as it's somewhere where I’m free to focus.


Create a small poster showing a quote that inspires me.
I hope to choose some words of inspiration and display them in our home. I could use watercolours or get creative on the computer. My aim is to do this once in February. I would love this activity to be a regular practice but I am trying to keep it real.

I would also like to find a time now and then when I can read or view something motivational and/or inspiring. However, I think if the two goals above happen then that will be enough to ensure that reflection  is becoming a part of my life. What I plan to make this happen does not need to be grand or rigorous.
I have already started sitting outside of an evening, looking out over the garden and reflecting on what I have to be grateful for. It's a lovely, peaceful time and very calming at the end of the day.

Other things I might do …..
Go for a long bike ride (remove myself completely from my typically sedentary, homely  way of living)
Watch a video clip of an inspirational speaker.
Share some of the inspirational stories in a post.
Journal my week/month using words, pictures, colour, highlighting significant words, experiences, memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment