Sunday 25 January 2015

Vegetable Garden update

Life is getting exciting in the vegie garden. I've been watching green capsicums and green grapes turn red, to my surprise. The green grapes have never made it this far. I thought they were turning rotten but, to my delight, it's just part of their transformation.


The zucchini are about to take off. They've been ripening at the timely rate of once or twice a week but any day now that's going to increase.
Mr S loves tomatoes so he planted as many as he could. Some are from seed, some sprouted in the compost and some were given to us. They've taken off with neither of us having had the chance or means to get them properly staked. I'm still  looking forward to tasting them.

My beautiful pink hydrangea, which was a splurge last year, took a battering on one of our 40 degree days. I forgot  to cover it. I'm hoping that with some extra tender, loving care, it might rejuvenate itself.

One of the unexpected delights is the iceberg roses. They've never looked so good. They got a very tough pruning after a run of hostile weather but they've come back better than ever.

The strawberries look great but what is one to do with 3 tiny ones? I think I'll need to plant more next year.
The apple tree is netted.It's a minature and was here when I moved in, so I don't know what variety it is. Last year I was away as they were ripening and we had a shocking run of temperatures in the high 30s. The apples are ripening so it'll be interesting to see what they taste like.
Have a relaxing Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment