Monday 24 October 2011

A Paler Shade of Green

One simple thing I do to support my environment is to use green bags. I love this gesture as it's easy, demonstrative, achievable.....

Yet, in the last few weeks my effort has been rather poor! On holidays overseas I felt it was not always appropriate to be rejecting someone's attempt to provide quality service. I know that as westerners we may think it necessary to impose our values on others in the name of the environment but I like to tread lightly and respectfully  when I am on someone else's land. While we cry out that it's a waste the poor shop assistant may feel that they have not fulfilled their responsibility in providing the bag.

The last couple of weeks I have been busy adjusting to having a young person in my home. As I've said before, it's very exciting and a welcome challenge. Anyway, I've found that I no longer have that quiet, exclusive space when I shop. So I've accepted bags, time after time, before realising what's happening. I tell myself later that I will not do it the next time. But it keeps happening!!

Do you find that as a SAD person even with the best of intentions it's hard to do what you really want to do as your mind turns over so many things?

So let me go now and put the green shopping bags in the car. Then I won't have to put off my shopping as I did today, because I had no green bags and I was determined not to use another plastic bag!!




David Brown's House
former hill station
at the top of Penang Hill
Malaysia

Have a good week!