Wednesday 1 July 2015

Savouring the (little bit of) wilderness

One of my goals in June was to get back to running. Part of my exercise regime is to at least get in some walking if nothing else. Now, to be honest, I'm not exactly on the home stretch. In fact, I'm far from it. But I did get in a little walking in June. 
Every time I walk along the creek path I love one particular scene of what is quickly becoming the last tract of wilderness around these parts. I live on the outskirts of suburbia so when I come home I can still get a glimpse of the windswept plains and a sense of the open and beyond. Alas, not for much longer. The soil has been turned and it won't be long before that piece of wilderness is transformed into another emerging suburb.
Not all of it is wilderness. Some of it is cleared land which has long been neglected. But when I walk by the creek and see the gnarled, outstretched trees close to  the water's edge, I feel immense respect for them. Those trees have managed to stand strong against human conquest of this land. Just. I do wonder for how many more years those trees will hold their ground.


I'm very grateful for the taste of nature each time I leave home. Even the weeds, pictured above, offer a welcome touch of colour to combat the gloom of winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment