Monday 27 July 2015

Midyear Goal Review

It's time to take stock of where I am at as far as my goals go. I love working on my goals even though it's been harder this year to keep track of them. Nevertheless the wheels of life keep turning and I find that I'm still moving along and surprising myself with what I have achieved. 

So these are the goals that have worked.
  • HOUSE: It’s been a goal for three or so years but I finally got a hall runner. It’s a little short but it’s beautiful.
  • HEALTH: Drinking more water. Currently slack but overall this year has been a big improvement.
  • Being social: Well, I’ve done it twice and am about to set about organising an outing for August.
  • Waking up early: Surprisingly working very well. Awake early. Breakfast every day. Almost. For winter that might have to do!
  • Save pennies: To be honest I mostly achieve this because my partner has frugal habits and I am often too busy to waste my time buying things that are not necessary.



These are the goals that have partially worked.
  •  HOUSE: Hanging pictures up:I framed a friend’s watercolour painting. It’s not hanging yet. I did ask someone to help me and they said yes but …I think they’ve forgotten. My SA self does not like bothering people but I think  know I will have to ask him again.
  • Reducing screen time. Some times are better than other times. I have started reading paper books again which means I’m not on my laptop as much. I don’t automatically go on fb. I sometimes stop and think twice before spending unlimited time surfing the net.
  • HEALTH: Exercise: currently once a week yoga. I really want to get to three times a week with running/riding/walking/yoga.
  •  Exercising gratitude and taking time to reflect: it’s happened here and there but I want to make it more regular. Something once a week would be good.
  • Planning time (banking etc): Taking time on Fridays to plan and do paper and online housekeeping has worked fairly well, except that in the last few months I’ve moved away from my weekly planner at home and at school. I’m now making this a priority.


These are the goals that were not officially set but are still part of my thinking.
  •           I wanted to set up the front room as a snug/office and then have the other small room as a guest bedroom. In order to do this I had to declutter and rearrange furniture and storage. I have started decluttering photos and it’s been easier than expected. I decluttered tubs of stuff earlier this year. In May I decluttered another tub of things, including clothes and books, which is ready to donate to the op shop. Last week I decluttered another lot of things, including unused shampoo and photos. The  front room is on its way. It’s been cleared of “extra” stuff so it’s beginning to look and feel welcoming.
  •      My first e-bay purchase!! The hall runner. At the same time I also ordered some skin products online that I badly needed and had been doing without for more than a year. I don’t always have time to go shopping far from home and finally made the decision to try online. It worked very well. And this does go towards me saving pennies as it cost less than half of what it would have cost at full price.
  •       I started reading books again. Yes. I’m onto my second book and I’m choosing books from my bookshelves that I haven’t read for years. Nostalgic and very rewarding.
  •      Getting creative: painted and framed a picture for Easter,  then made invitations for my birthday, thank you notes



These goals are not happening. Yet.
·         Make a fairy garden
·         Get a bike: I wanted to wait till Mr S and I could do this together. We got a good secondhand one from a friend last month so now I can start looking at getting one for myself.
·         Sewing
·         Plan a simple Christmas: Quite simply, it’s not time yet!

Mr S and I have had an everchanging routine so it’s been hard to plan for and work on my goals, at times. The cold weather also seems to encroach upon my motivation to get things done. It’s been satisfying to get to goals I didn’t think would happen, like reading a book, decluttering the front room, and getting creative.  In my next post I hope to outline my goals for the next couple of months. I’m hoping that with more attention to planning I can make my key goals happen.