Friday 20 March 2015

Getting up early: after 30 years of getting up late


It feels good to write that title. After 30 years of getting up for work every day at the last minute, I'm actually getting up early.

What is getting up early?
  • enough time to have breakfast
  • enough time to get dressed nicely in an outfit rather than throwing together anything that is clean and wearable
  • enough time to do something else, whether it be water the garden or take a few moments to compose myself before heading off for the day
My usual routine?
  • a one minute shower
  • a scramble to find something to wear
  • grab bits and pieces that need to be packed in my bag
  • mad dash to find glasses and/or keys and/or phone
  • a desperate rush to find some food to take to work...often coming up with nothing or forgetting what I  had organised, though I do sometimes take my muesli and yoghurt to work to have later.
Getting up at the last minute has been my story for most of my life until a few months ago.  It struck me that I  dream of  mornings with a chai latte  while others actually get up and have a chai latte. The message hit home after chatting with friends who explained how they get up very early in order to have the lifestyle they want. I sat there listening to their stories and I realised:

1. I want to be like them. I'm not like them. What's my excuse? No excuse. It's up to me....but I'm not a morning person...
2. The clincher....getting up late had become part of my story. I didn't want to retire with   that sort of mad morning rush having been part of my daily story for my whole working life. I wanted to change the story. I wanted to do something nice for myself and not waste the precious opportunity that each  morning offers.

So... I began. 

It started with the alarm going off an hour earlier than usual and me pushing the snooze button two  or three times. That was OK because I was still getting up earlier and I was enjoying doing a job or two before work. A few times I watered the garden. Other times I tidied up or did something for work. To counterbalance waking up early I had to go to sleep earlier.

Fast forward to March 2015....

At the moment I still wake up early but I do a mad dash to get out the door in time to catch the bus. Time gained now goes towards time on public transport. I have altered my routine, though. I  gather things together the night before and  I plan what I'm going to wear. I make sure glasses, money and keys are all in my bag, ready to go.

Next week, my routine changes again. I will have a car! I plan to keep my early morning schedule. It's getting harder as it's dark now when I wake up. This morning,waiting at the bus stop, it was quite chilly and I wondered how I would manage if I had to do this all winter. Regardless, I'm determined to stick to my new habit. I'm determined to have the occasional chai latte. Idealistic as ever, I want to enjoy the morning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment