Tuesday 6 September 2011

As Green As Can Be- That's Me!

I live a life as green as can be, which means that sometimes I'm not very green. When my energy is low green living doesn't happen very much. When I feel good, I love the challenge of finding ways I can be greener here at my suburban patch.

Some of my green goals are:
  • Buy thoughtfully; buy local, buy eco-friendly, not buy at all, reduce packaging
  • Save paper; reduce photocopying; recycle paper, introduce students to recycled paper for some tasks, go electronic
  • Walk where possible and use public transport; I'm not very organised  and I'm quite busy at times so this goal happens sometimes
  • Eat fresh and home-cooked food

Now it may surprise and even shock some readers that I occasionally buy from the take-away franchises, rarely buy in bulk and sometimes come home with a plastic bag I don't really want.

My priority is to eat. Full-stop. Eating green is really my second priority. I've never been a big eater and when I engage in a task I forget about everything else.  There have been times over the years when I chose not to buy products because they weren't green enough and then when I got hungry there was nothing to eat. So I will eat fast food if the alternative is too insubstantial and I've got no time to prepare something. I will buy individual items if the alternative- given my lifestyle and how I manage it- means that uneaten food is wasted.

September
Lately I've notched up a few greenie points (these are the green version of brownie points) in the following ways:
  • I finally got a bike. It needs some adjustments. Hopefully these holidays I can check out the local bike path that goes through the grasslands. I also want to try riding to the local shops and library....
  • No TV on Tuesdays. Still feels weird! But I'm actually thinking about trying to be more selective about what I watch as well as thinking about making another time in the week when I rule out TV. I often put it on for company.
  • On Saturday I bought a new jacket. I managed to say no to the store assistant. when she offered me one of their glossy bags.
  • Three cheers because lately I've been remembering my green shopping bags!!!
  • Using lemons off the tree in the backyard (it's the closest I get to producing my own food)